Monday, November 17, 2008

A Favorite

Throughout my days at Evergreen Academy, Rosa Parks Elementary, and Einstein Elementary, I have always developed a few favorite kids at each school. You know what I mean. They are the kids that are just so cute, so smart, so wonderful. They are the students that are always helpful, always funny, and always smiling at you. As a teacher, I feel slightly guilty when I have a favorite. Yet, it happens uncontrollably. It's almost as if that "favorite" child picks you as well.

With this information in mind, I feel that teachers are viewed as objective beings. There is a silent rule that states that we should not have favorites. We should not lean towards one child and not the other. But then again, we are human. If one child is nicer to us than another child, how can we not favor them? I have heard that it's important to find something wonderful about each student. In other words, look for the good in every student.

Come on though... we do that anyway. I have tried and I do find something great about every student in my classes. For example, a boy in my Dyad is a constant disruption to the classroom. He gets out of his seat, rolls on the floor, sits in the teacher's desk, etc. Though this is the case, this student adds a lot to the classroom community. He has a magical spirit. He really brings life to the classroom. Without this student, the class simply would not be the same.

Yet there is always that one student, that one favorite. What are your thoughts on this?

No comments: