Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sick, Sick, Sick

So... my dyad teacher took half a day off from school last Tuesday to nurse a nagging cough. However, she insisted on going to school at the beginning of the day to check the kid's homework and going back to school in the afternoon for parent-teacher conferences. By the time I saw her on Wednesday, she was still coughing and we were missing 5 students. Parents have been encouraged to keep their sick kids home (and from these numbers it looks like they may have finally got the message), but what about us teachers? I feel like my teacher should have stayed home. For everyone's benefit. I have spent the entire weekend in bed. Is is really that hard to relinquish control to a sub?

Trying hard not to judge...

2 comments:

Elle said...

This is one of the things I worry about as we venture into this wonderful profession of teaching. As teachers... what on earth are we going to do when we get sick? Some teachers have told me that you simply call the substitute hot line and stay home. But other teachers have told me that it is virtually impossible to find a substitute and that it takes more time and effort to create the sub plans.

This is going to be interesting to see how this all pans out. Let's just never get sick! :)

Right?

smART DECOr said...

After working in schools for four years, I've begun to notice that I don't get sick near as often as I did when I first started working with high volumes of kids. I bounced this observation off of a few veteran teachers (was I REALLY noticing a decrease in colds, etc....or was it all in my head?) and most were of the opinion that every year you work in schools after, say, your 3rd year, you get sick less. They seemed to think it was due to an improvement in immunity due to constant exposure to germs. I'm not sure of the scientific validity of this statement, but I do know that experience has proved this to be at least anecdotally true for so many teachers....so cross your fingers that you will be in on that anecdote.